E-mail MeDavid M. Ring
In March 2015, Partner David Ring was named California Lawyer’s 2015 “Personal Injury Attorney of the Year” for his record-setting settlement of $14 million on behalf of two women who were sexually abused by their science teacher in the 1990s. The settlement is recorded as the largest per victim settlement paid by any school district in the nation.
Also, in 2015, Vanity Fair referred to David Ring as “California’s go-to attorney for sexual abuse victims” in a detailed tell all of the horrendous negligence on behalf of Marlborough School, a prestigious all-girls school in Los Angeles, involving sexual abuse allegations against a former English teacher.
David Ring is a nationally renowned plaintiff's personal injury trial attorney and has obtained multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of seriously-injured individuals or families who have lost a loved one in a tragic accident. For more than 20 years, he has represented victims of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, assault, molestation and sexual misconduct in cases against a variety of employers and entities, including schools, churches and youth organizations. He prides himself on providing aggressive, yet compassionate representation for children who have been sexually abused and women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted.
He also handles other major personal injury cases, including wrongful death, serious motor vehicle and motorcycle accidents, construction site accidents, product liability, premises liability, and employment actions involving discrimination, harassment and wrongful termination.
David has consistently been included on the prestigious list of The Best Lawyers in America, and is named to the list of Southern California Super Lawyers as well as to its "Top 100 Lawyers in Southern California" list for several consecutive years.
David's representative results against schools and school districts on behalf of child victims, include:
- $14 million settlement in sexual abuse case against Moraga School District on behalf of two adult females who were victimized by their middle school teacher in the 1990s. Each victim obtained $7 million, which is the largest amount "per victim" ever paid by any school district in any state.
- $10.8 million jury verdict against a school district on behalf of teenage boy who was sexually abused by a teacher.
- $8 million settlement on behalf of Jane, a teenager who was sexually assaulted by an adult relative one time.
- $6.75 million settlement on behalf of several boys who were abused by their fourth grade teacher.
- $5.6 million jury verdict against a school district on behalf of a 14-year-old girl who was manipulated into engaging in a sexual relationship with her high school teacher.
- $4.5 million jury verdict against a school district on behalf of two young girls who were sexually abused by their third grade teacher.
- $3.5 million settlement for several children in the high-profile LAUSD / Miramonte School case in which Mark Berndt fed tainted cookies to students.
- $3 million settlement against a school district on behalf of a special needs student who was sexually harassed and assaulted by another student.
- $3 million settlement against a school district on behalf of a 13-year-old girl who was sexually manipulated and exploited by her middle school teacher.
- $1.35 million settlement for a 14-year-old boy who was bullied by other students at a Los Angeles middle school.
In addition, David has obtained landmark results in a range of personal injury cases, including:
- $18.6 million jury verdict on behalf of an injured motorcycle rider who was struck by a negligent driver.
- $4.3 million settlement on behalf of a man who suffered brain damage after being struck by a vehicle while walking in a crosswalk.
- $3.25 million settlement for a woman injured in a Metrolink train crash.
- $2.4 million settlement for the parents of an adult disabled son who was struck and killed by an out-of-control car.
- $1.8 million verdict on behalf of a sales executive who was terminated because of his age.
Also a fierce advocate of consumer rights, David is currently the president of Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), the nation's largest local association of plaintiffs' attorneys in Southern California. He has served on the Board of Governors since 2005, as well as the Executive Committee. In 2016, he will become the President of the 2,500-member organization. David has been nominated by CAALA as "Trial Lawyer of the Year" in 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2013. He is also a frequent speaker and former co-chair of CAALA's Annual Convention. In addition, David is an active member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) and the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC).
David's high-profile cases generate a tremendous amount of media interest. He has appeared on The Katie Couric Show and The View, where he was interviewed by Barbara Walters regarding the YouTube case he is handling in which his adult client, Jamie, confronted her former teacher on a phone call and the teacher admitted to sexually abusing Jamie when she was 13 years old. Jamie posted the phone confrontation on YouTube and it went viral, leading to international media coverage. The perpetrator was subsequently arrested and charged with serious crimes of sexual abuse of a minor.
David graduated cum laude from the University of Southern California in 1987 and "Order of the Coif" (top 10% of his class) from University of Southern California Law School in 1990.
When not watching his two young sons play sports, David enjoys playing tennis and attending Laker games.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Serious Motor Vehicle and Motorcycle Accidents
- Construction Site Accidents
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Employment Actions
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination
- University of Southern California Law School, Los Angeles, California - 1990
- Honors: "Order of the Coif" (Top 10% of his Class)
- University of Southern California - 1987
- Honors: cum laude
- Frequent Speaker, Annual Lawyer Convention, CAALA
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Top 10 of all Lawyers in Southern California 2016
- Daily Journal Top 25 Plaintiffs' Lawyers in California 2015
- Selected, Southern California Super Lawyers (2006 – present)
- Recipient, Superb (10 out of 10) Rating on the web site Avvo.com
- Named in the Prestigious Woodward & White's Publication The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as one of the "Top 100 Lawyers" in Southern California by Los Angeles Magazine's Super Lawyers Publication
- California Lawyer’s 2015 “Personal Injury Attorney of the Year”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), President, 2016 Board of Governors, 2005-2015
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), Member