Location: Los Angeles, California
Email: Email Me
Sonya Ostovar focuses her practice on childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault, and sexual harassment, as well as employment law, elder abuse, and personal injury. She recently secured an $8 million settlement from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in a case involving a 15-year-old-girl who had been sexually abused by her coach. This is the largest individual sex abuse settlement the Archdiocese of Los Angeles has ever agreed to.
Prior to joining Taylor & Ring, Sonya was an associate attorney at a plaintiff’s law firm in Brentwood, where she represented employees in various employment disputes, including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, pregnancy discrimination, and wage and hour class actions.
Sonya graduated from Pepperdine University School of Law, where she was a senior editor of the Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal and obtained a Certificate in Dispute Resolution from the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution. During law school, Sonya served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Michael Jesic in the Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles. She also gained experience as a law clerk for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office – Habeas Corpus Litigation Team. Sonya also volunteered for Neighborhood Legal Services’ Self-Help Center, where she worked with pro se litigants, helping them navigate various civil matters.
- J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California
- Senior Editor, Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal
- Honors: Certificate in the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Honors: CALI Award for Excellence in the course Psychology of Conflict
- B.A., magna cum laude, Philosophy, University of California, Los Angeles
- Honors: Departmental Honors in Philosophy
- “Extending SOL for sexual assault victims is an important step,” Daily Journal, October 23,2019
- Interview with Lawyer Monthly about the impact of AB 218
- Protecting Your Plaintiff in Sexual-Misconduct Cases; The Advocate (April 2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), Member and Vice-Chair of Law School Outreach Committee
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC), Member
- Iranian American Lawyers Association (IALA), Board of Directors
- The National Crime Victim Bar Association (NCVBA), Member