Most drivers understand the concept that speeding-while-driving has the potential to reap disastrous results. Although speeding and reckless driving may only result in receiving a traffic violation ticket, it can also end much more tragically, with life-changing injuries and even death as the consequence.
The recent tragedy of a famous couple
In the early morning hours of Wednesday, Jan. 31, former NBA player Rasual Butler along with his wife, Leah LaBelle lost their lives in a car crash in Studio City, California.
The accident occurred around 2 AM that early morning. Driving a Range Rover, Butler reportedly lost control of the vehicle which hit a parking meter and flipped over before it crashed into a wall. A report from NBC Los Angeles stated that police said the vehicle was moving at two to three times the speed limit.
Reasons drivers speed
The most tragic consequence that can come from speeding is a fatality. According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), between 2005 and 2014 there were 112,580 fatalities in which a vehicle’s speed was a factor in the accident. This represents 31 percent of all traffic fatalities.
There is never a satisfactory reason to place yourself and others in unnecessary harm by speeding or driving recklessly. However, some of the reasons why drivers speed include:
- Failure to pay attention to the vehicle’s odometer
- Rushing to get somewhere or avoid being late
- Failing consider the speed at which they are traveling to be dangerous
- Feeling they do not have to follow the rules of the road – in this case the speed limit
- Confidence they will not be caught speeding in a certain area, or pulled over on certain portion of a highway or road
Why does speed kill?
Speeding is a traffic offense that should be taken seriously. Traveling at an unsafe speed combined with particular road conditions can result in disastrous consequences in terms of human life and property damage. Some of the reasons why speeding at any time is dangerous and potentially fatal, and which can also be backed up by basic physics, include:
- It diminishes the vehicle stability and traction – this is especially true when turning
- It gives drivers less time to slow down, maneuver out of the way, or stop in response to a sudden or unexpected obstacle in the roadway
- It deters a driver’s ability to react safely and effectively
- It reduces the handling ability of the vehicle – most vehicles sold to the general public are not manufactured to travel at such high speeds matched up with particular road conditions
- It increases the possibility of vehicle rollover, especially for vehicles with a high center of gravity, such as SUVs and vans
- It increases the potential severity of injuries incurred in a crash, including possible death
No amount of financial compensation could ever make up for the pain and suffering, and too often, the loss of life endured by family members of a loved one involved in a serious car crash. However, the victim can begin to move forward and rebuild if financial recover is obtained through a speeding accident claim. Some of the recovery in the financial sense that is accessible to successful claimants includes damages for loss of earnings, loss of future earnings, medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and future medical expenses.
As the victim of a car crash due to the fault of another party, it’s important to have strong and intelligent legal representation on your side to fight for the compensation you are owed. At Taylor & Ring, we can discuss your accident and its aftermath upon you or your loved one, and also go over your options. To arrange a free consultation with one of our Los Angeles car crash lawyers, use our contact form to send us an email or simply call us today at 310-776-6390.
- Car Accidents
- What To Do After a Car Accident in California
- Determining Liability in California Multi Vehicle Accidents
- California May Limit Liability for Self-Driving Car Makers
- How Does Car Accident Reconstruction Work?
- Witness Statements Are an Invaluable Element in Determining Fault in Car Accidents
- Car Fires: Reading the Smoke Signals
David Ring is a nationally renowned plaintiff’s personal injury trial attorney and has obtained multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of seriously-injured individuals or families who have lost a loved one in a tragic accident. For more than 20 years, he has represented victims of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, assault, molestation and sexual misconduct in cases against a variety of employers and entities, including schools, churches and youth organizations.
He prides himself on providing aggressive, yet compassionate representation for children who have been sexually abused and women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted. Read more about David M. Ring.