Richard Alexander Turner, a former athletic trainer at Birmingham Community High School (a charter school operating independently within LAUSD) and Van Nuys High School is facing 15 felony charges for sexually assaulting 10 students. All of the victims who have come forward so far were between 15 and 17 years old when Turner abused and assaulted them.
Taylor & Ring is representing one of these students – but we believe there may be more survivors out there. Our experience holding LAUSD accountable for their failure to keep their students safe is well-documented, and we can help you seek justice, too. Please call us at 310-776-6390 to learn more about how we can help.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Turner “was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of sexual assault, a day after a Birmingham student accused him of touching her inappropriately, according to Los Angeles Police Dept. Capt. Jeff Bratcher, who leads the agency’s juvenile division.” But this was not the first report made against Turner; back in 2017, a Van Nuys High School student “reported that Turner inappropriately touched her after she reported an injury while practicing basketball,” per the Los Angeles Daily News. Turner was arrested, but District Attorney’s Office decided not to pursue the case for lack of evidence.
Despite this, Turner was somehow able to secure a position at Birmingham Community High School. After police released his name, nine other survivors came forward to report their assaults over the past five years.
Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. George Gascón told the Los Angeles Times:
Some of the assaults happened outside of school but declined to elaborate on where or how they occurred. All of the victims were attacked while receiving treatment for sports injuries. Some victims reported that Turner became violent, while others did not initially realize they had been assaulted.
This is part of what makes Turner’s actions so insidious. These young girls trusted their trainer to help them when they were at their most vulnerable, and instead of helping them, he inflicted harm.
“The unconsciousness in this particular case really refers to the fact that they may not have immediately been aware that they were being sexually molested,” Gascón told reporters. “There have been some cases where force was used as well.”
Turner is facing charges of “forcible rape, sexual penetration of an unconscious person and sexual penetration by use of force,” per the Daily News.
Let Taylor & Ring help you fight for justice
Partners Dave Ring and Natalie Weatherford are laser-focused on helping children who have been sexually abused and assaulted by people in position of power. Over the years, they have helped secure more than $100 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of the survivors and their families throughout California. In particular, Dave and Natalie have sought to protect those who have suffered because of the repeated, systematic failures of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
We know coming forward can be frightening. We know it is a difficult choice. We also know:
- You are NOT to blame when you are sexually assaulted.
- You are NOT being disloyal to your school or your team when you report sexual abuse or assault.
- You are NOT doing anything wrong by coming forward to speak your truth.
Taylor & Ring offers a safe and secure location in which to tell your story and discuss your needs. We will treat you with respect and dignity, and can keep your identity confidential if that is what you need.
If you or your child attended Van Nuys High School or Birmingham Community High School and were sexually abuse by Richard Alexander Turner while being treated for a sports-related injury, Taylor & Ring is ready and able to help. Please call us at 310-776-6390 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation.
Related Sexual Abuse and Assault Content
- John Taylor & Brendan Gilbert Fighting for Victim of Sexual Abuse by Hamilton High School Teacher
- Shades of Larry Nassar: a USC Doctor Abused Students for Almost 30 Years
- New Title IX Rules Go Into Effect in August – What They Are and How They May Affect You
- If You Have Signed an NDA, Can You Report a Sexual Assault?
- North Monterey County Teacher Arrested for Sexual Assault of Former Student
- Using DNA Evidence in Sexual Assault Cases
- Sexual Abuse of Minors in the Entertainment Industry
- Mario Batali Acquitted of Sexual Assault
- Trevor Bauer Won’t Face Criminal Charges
- Snoop Dogg Accused of Sexual Assault
- Taylor & Ring Secures $102M Verdict in Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against Union School District
- Marilyn Manson Under Investigation for Assault
- USC Fraternity Sigma Nu Facing Accusations of Drugs, Sexual Assault
Serving clients throughout the Greater Los Angeles and Southern California area, we represent victims in a variety of civil litigation cases. If you or a loved one has been injured, turn to an experienced Los Angeles personal injury or sexual assault lawyer.
Find out more about Taylor & Ring.